Thank you for your interest in careers at MLT. We are just as dedicated to the talent development of the employees in our organization as we are with our fellows.
Management Leadership for Tomorrow (MLT) is the premier career development institution that equips high potential African Americans, Hispanics and Native Americans with the key ingredients—skills, coaching and door-opening relationships—that unlock their potential. By cracking the code on career potential, MLT is developing the next generation of minority leaders, for the corporate, entrepreneurial and non-profit sectors, who will in turn have transformational impact on our communities. MLT delivers programming that puts minorities on the fast-track to success at every stage of their careers: from College through MBA and the Executive levels.
MLT is in a period of significant organizational evolution. Working in partnership with top-tier corporations such as Citi, Google, Goldman Sachs, and PepsiCo, along with 30+ top business schools, we have achieved breakthrough results; we continue our efforts to build the infrastructure to scale our operations from $5M to $15M over the next three to five years.
Below are current opportunities with MLT:
- Recruitment and Admissions Associate
- Technology Administrator & Project Manager (Part-Time Temporary)
- West Coast Managing Director
- Partnerships Associate
- MBA Professional Development Coach
- Director, MBA Prep Program
- Director, Business Development
- Director,Recruitment & Admissions
- Community/ Social Media Manager
MLT is seeking a talented individual to help lead the expansion of MLT’s partner / funding base as well as manage and grow relationships with a portfolio of current MLT partner organizations. The Partnerships Director is a high-profile, externally-facing role focused on developing and executing MLT’s partnership strategy within several key sectors. Key responsibilities include growing and managing MLT’s base of strategic partners (corporations, non-profits, foundations and government entities), working with MLT’s Programs teams to design curriculum to prepare Fellows and Alumni for careers with partner organizations, sharing best practices and developing strategic partnership plans (to help partners recruit and retain more diverse talent), and ensuring strong return on investment for MLT’s partners.
The ideal candidate will thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and has a strong track record of success in consultative sales, business development and/or client management. The individual will have demonstrated success managing relationships with individuals at various levels within large institutions, possess superior persuasive skills (written and oral), possess strong analytical and problem solving abilities, and be extremely well-organized and detail oriented with the ability to efficiently manage multiple tasks concurrently. This individual will report to the VP of Partnerships.
• Lead all aspects of the new partner engagement process (e.g. identify new prospects, develop mutually beneficial partnership proposals, lead presentations to key stakeholders, and manage follow-up communications with potential partners who make annual contributions to recruit MLT Fellows and Alumni).
• Develop expert knowledge of the unique talent recruiting and retention challenges of MLT’s partners and prospective partners.
• Manage a portfolio of ~15 MLT strategic partners, cross- and upsell existing partners, and lead renewal negotiations.
• Assist with sales and fundraising activities of MLT’s CEO and VP of Partnerships.
• Lead / participate in partner meetings and MLT seminars (occasional evenings and weekends)
• Advise MLT teams around creation of development of sector-specific career opportunities for partners to engage with MLT Fellows / Alumni via existing and new MLT curriculum and events
• Solicit feedback and refine MLT’s program content, curriculum and experiences to ensure MLT is recruiting and developing the right profile of talent that will succeed within our partner organizations
• Manage one Partnership Associate or Manager
• A minimum of 7 years of consultative sales / client management/fundraising experience in a professional services environment
• Track record of success / promotion within one of MLT’s key partnership sectors is a must: financial services, consulting, technology, consumer goods / retail, and/or leading social sector organization
• Proven track record of successfully building a new initiative / business from the early stages, including strategy development, raising capital, service delivery, and team and operations management
• Ability to build consensus for a service and navigate within an environment that requires the buy-in of multiple stakeholders across the organization
• PowerPoint and Excel proficiency required
• BA required, MBA or higher degree a plus
Recruitment and Admissions Associate
We are currently seeking a Recruitment and Admissions Associate to provide critical support to the Recruitment & Admissions team, which builds the talent pipeline feeding into the Career Prep Program (for undergraduates), the MBA Prep Program (for young professionals applying to business school), and the Career Advancement Program (for seasoned executives). A valued member of the Recruitment & Admissions team, the Recruitment and Admissions Associate manages all communication with program applicants, coordinates the application process, oversees data management and analysis, and reports on program outcomes. This position is based out of MLT’s DC Office and reports to the Recruitment & Admissions Director.
The Recruitment and Admissions Associate will be responsible for:
• Managing all communication, both phone and e-mail, with applicants and prospective Fellows
• Managing the entire application process, including processing applications for admission to ensure completeness, routing complete applications to appropriate evaluators, and tracking outcomes through the final decision process
• Managing the applicant interview process, including connecting applicants with their alumni interviewer
• Serving as primary contact with online application software provider (Apply Yourself), including preparation of online application template
• Managing updates to applications for admission, reader evaluation forms, and interviewer evaluation forms
• Managing applicant database
• Summarizing key findings from application cycle and providing recommendations for subsequent cycles
• Bachelors degree required; 1-2 years of work experience, ideally in an operations capacity, preferred
• Superior organization and project management skills, with exceptional attention to detail
• Flexibility, adaptability and ability to juggle multiple projects with ease
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills; great ease with manipulating data in databases, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to get along well with many different types of individuals
• Strong customer service orientation
• Entrepreneurial spirit, with a genuine interest in business and career development and a passion for the MLT mission
Technology Administrator & Project Manager (Part-Time Temporary)
• Salesforce Administration
o Identify and cleanse data to ensure consistency in reporting
o Manage data imports from other systems and train others in the organization to do the same
o Review storage to ensure working within appropriate storage limits
o Continuous improvement to Salesforce CRM to ensure ease of use for end users Tweak sharing model and user data access as needed
o As needed, incorporate Visualforce pages into Salesforce to increase usability
o Train and support end users on Salesforce functionality
o Develop standard reports and dashboards to support end-user needs
• System Technical Project Management & Support
o Manage enhancements to MLT third-party systems including MBA Focus and ApplyYourself
o Assist end users in system use, and manage technical support needs with 3rd-party providers
• Salesforce Certified Advanced Administrator or equivalent
• Demonstrated project management experience, particularly in leading technical enhancements
• Demonstrated end-user support and development/delivery of training resources using multiple medium (written, interactive class, in-person, video, etc).
• Advanced capabilities in Excel and/or Access or other data manipulation tool
• Data sensitivity and confidentiality is required
• Self starter who enjoys the challenge of rooting out problems and solving them
• Well-organized and meticulous attention to detail
West Coast Managing Director
MLT’s long-term success will be realized by developing a critical mass of senior minority leaders in key sectors. We have several relationships within the technology, business and philanthropy communities in the Bay Area and are now hiring a leader who can drive value through the cultivation of these accounts, build new business through strategic and financial partnerships, and institute a strong local presence for the MLT brand.
Primary Responsibilities and 12 Month Deliverables
• Engage new institutions (corporations, foundations, etc.) and individuals as strategic partners
• Engage our current West Coast partners and expand their commitment to MLT
• Refine MLT’s West Coast strategy to determine top priority programmatic initiatives and success metrics for the first 3 years
• Leverage the expertise and relationships of MLT’s Board Members to build additional relationships
• Build a local Advisory Board of key sector leaders who can provide capital, thought leadership, and referrals
• Hire additional team member to support initiative
• Demonstrated ability to qualify, manage accounts and close sales – particularly within relationship-focused sales and for a group of buyers
• Established network of relationships in the tech, biz and/or philanthropic communities
• Excellent presence/can build confidence of Board members/execs; bring Board and local staff in at the right time
• Ability to think strategically and also execute/drive results
• Can articulate a compelling “why MLT” story with credibility
• Track record of success in either tech or business community (ideally both) with an intuitive understanding of the bar to be a rising leader
• Embraces entrepreneurial ventures and can be productive as a remote, one-person team initially
• Interest in building MLT over next 2-3 years
As a key member of the Partnerships team, the Partnerships Associate will support the growth of MLT’s funding base by preparing for and participating in pitch meetings with prospective partners, managing agreed-upon activities throughout the year, and assisting the Partnerships Director achieve their annual revenue goals. S/he will maintain, track, and analyze partner-related data that is used to ensure MLT is driving significant return on investment for its partners; research the best practices of leading organizations’ recruitment and retention needs; craft client-ready sales and renewal presentations for MLT strategic partners (corporations, non-profits and foundations); and manage communication and follow-up with MLT partners and prospective partners.
The ideal candidate will possess the ability to communicate persuasively and professionally, manage and analyze data to draw meaningful conclusions, and manage projects effectively and with minimal supervision. This role is a terrific steppingstone for a talented individual who is seeking to lead his/her own accounts and/or be a development director at a leading non-profit as the next career step, as there will be significant opportunity to attend client meetings/negotiations. This position is based out of MLT’s DC office and reports to the Partnerships Director.
• Support Partnerships Director in achieving annual revenue goal through a combination of activities and conversations with existing and new partners
• Track, maintain, and package data that MLT uses to capture its effectiveness and build upon its partner base
• Prepare customized presentations and proposals for pitch meetings with prospective partners
• Manage ongoing communication, documentation and follow-up with prospects and partners
• Analyze partner results and create client-ready presentations for status reporting and partnership renewals
• Share partner feedback with MLT’s Programs teams to ensure MLT is developing talent that meets for the bar of excellence at MLT’s partner organizations
• 2-5 years’ experience, preferably within a formalized training program (strategy consulting, financial services, general management, etc) or within a B:B business development environment
• Proven ability to interpret and manage the needs of multiple “customers”
• Very strong professional communication skills and experience communicating with external clients
• Keen ability to solve problems and communicate solutions in a compelling, sales-focused manner
• Highly resourceful, with strong attention to detail and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, team-oriented, cross-functional environment
• Experience creating/managing spreadsheets and maintaining accurate databases (e.g. Salesforce.com, Goldmine, etc.)
• Willingness to attend occasional evening and weekend conferences and MLT events when partners are in attendance
• Strong sense of urgency to meet multiple external and internal deadlines
• Mastery of Microsoft Office applications, particularly PowerPoint and Excel
• BA or equivalent degree required
MBA Professional Development Coach
The Professional Development (PD) Program teaches its Fellows to be the leaders of their own careers. Through a combination of coaching and programming, Fellows develop the knowledge and behaviors associated with lifelong career planning, networking, and interviewing. To that end, the PD Coach conducts one-on-one and group coaching, as well as designs and executes various aspects of the PD curriculum that empower Fellows to discover, create, and pursue MBA-level career paths that both fit their capabilities as well as provide meaningful trajectories for enacting their leadership potential. Reporting to the MBA Professional Development Associate Director, s/he will have primary responsibility for coaching Fellows on all aspects of the Career Management process in the pre-MBA period as well as throughout Fellows’ tenure in their MBA Programs. The PD Coach will develop and present seminar and webinar content, manage and complete project work, and assist with program execution and evaluation.
The ideal candidate should have excellent interpersonal skills and have a strong understanding of the MBA recruiting landscape. He or she should also have the ability to initiate relationships and build rapport with program Fellows and business school and corporate partners. This person must excel in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to multitask effectively. MLT actively maintains a collaborative and entrepreneurial culture.
The PD Coach role will be performed remotely, with coaching work beginning in January 2013.
• Conduct one-on-one and group coaching sessions with Fellows to support their short-term and long¬term career development, as well as their current recruiting efforts for both traditional and non¬traditional MBA roles Advise Fellows on how to build interview proficiency, industry knowledge, and communication and networking skills. Perform detailed reviews of resumes. Maintain coaching records on each Fellow
• Deliver expertise on MBA-relevant careers and job markets—with special emphasis on job opportunities at our Corporate Partners—by conducting ongoing research and outreach to alumni and other representatives at various companies. Educate Fellows about external resources to aid their job search as needed
• Engage Partnerships Team to ensure that Fellows have current information about specific job markets and recruiter perceptions. Advise corporate partners on activities to build awareness among Fellows
• Partner with Associate Director to develop and deliver career management and training initiatives, including workshops, seminars, webinars, panels, and other events
• Oversee development and selection of new resources, including online videos, self-study exercises, and assessment tools
• Track and collect employment data (including applications, interviews, and offers) from current Fellows to support our internal and external reporting. Lead outreach to Fellows to ensure compliance with our reporting requirements
• Read and evaluate applications to the MBA Prep/PD programs
• Travel to two or more proprietary seminars, events, or national recruiting fairs (e.g. NBMBAA, NSHMBA, etc.) each year
• Master’s degree required, MBA preferred
• At least 7 years of total work experience required (with at least 2+ years post-graduate school work experience preferred) in relevant MBA career fields (e.g. consulting, consumer packaged goods, financial services, non-profit, technology, pharma/biotech, etc.)
• Strong interest and ability to coach high potential candidates in their mid-20’s to early 30’s who are pursuing their MBA degrees
• Exceptionally skilled at interviewing, job search, and resume writing
• Demonstrated project management abilities
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with people of diverse cultures and backgrounds
• Excellence in written and oral communication, with polished professional demeanor
• Must feel comfortable addressing the emotional needs and stresses of highly motivated business professionals in career transition
• Ability to deliver on metrics and report on outcomes to Associate Director
• Experience with MBA Focus and Salesforce a plus
Director, MBA Prep Program
The Director of MBA Prep will be responsible for developing the strategic vision and growth strategy for the MBA Prep program, which presently serves approximately 200 high-potential, underrepresented minority young professionals. The Director will lead and develop a team currently composed of an Associate Director, an Associate, and five coaches. S/he will oversee the refinement of program curriculum to drive participants’ success in the business school application process and manage relationships externally with business school partners. S/he will also be expected to spearhead efforts to innovate our instructional methods to significantly increase the number of Fellows we are able to serve each year. The ideal candidate will have a superior mix of strategic acumen, business experience, and attention to detail with an outstanding ability to build and manage relationships with program participants, MLT staff, and business school partners. Coupled with a personal success profile, s/he should have an intimate understanding of the MBA admissions process and an intuitive sense of what it takes for a candidate to gain admission to a top business school. S/he must excel in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to multitask effectively. MLT actively maintains a collaborative and entrepreneurial culture. This individual will be based out of MLT's DC office, and will report to the VP of Talent Development.
The Director of MBA Prep’s responsibilities will include:
• Developing and executing overall strategic vision and growth strategy for MBA Prep
• Guiding career development for coaches and program staff
• Determining strategy for business school partner composition while working closely with existing partners to maintain and strengthen relationships
• Overseeing development and/or refinement of program curriculum strategy to drive participants’ success in the business school application process
• Spearhead efforts to innovate instructional methods in order to significantly increase the number of Fellows served each year
• Determining ideal class profile and, in conjunction with recruitment team, thinking strategically about ways to attract top talent and contributing to the program participant selection process
• Working with VP of Programs and other program directors to enhance collaboration and consistency across programs and across MLT
• Developing and maintaining program metrics and reporting on activities and outcomes to the VP of Talent Development
• Graduate degree (preferably MBA) plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience with a successful track record
• Exceptional strategic thinking skills and experience building a program
• Intimate understanding of MBA admissions process and an intuitive sense of what it takes for a candidate to gain admission to a top business school
• Experiential knowledge of the “bar of excellence” for post MBA-level positions in finance, consulting, and marketing and other business career paths
• Strong team leader who is able to inspire superior results; supervisory experience is a must
• Strong analytical, organizational, and planning skills
• Excellent presentation, communication (oral and written), and interpersonal skills
• Strong conceptual and problem solving skills
• Must be able to travel & attend events on several nights and weekends throughout the year
Director, Business Development
The Director of Business Development will be responsible for sourcing and closing new partnership relationships with major corporations, foundations and non-profits and achieving annual new business development goals. S/he will be responsible for driving the consultative sales process for MLT, which includes prospecting, cultivating current relationships toward close, leading new business pitch presentations, negotiating partnership terms, and ensuring a smooth hand-off to MLT’s account management team.
The ideal candidate has experience in strategic partnership management or business development within media and entertainment or financial services, or has worked in a client-facing role within management consulting. S/he must be able to understand MLT’s value proposition and communicate it in a way that makes it easy for the prospect to sell it into his/her organization. This position will be located in MLT’s headquarters in DC and report to the VP of Partnerships.
· Successfully build and close new business partnerships with top-tier corporations and the nation’s leading non-profit organizations
· Build a strong business case for partnering with MLT and serve as primary point of contact for questions from prospective partners / clients
· Identify key decision-makers and supporters within prospective partner organizations and manage relationships through strong follow-up/communication and project management
· Track/manage revenue forecast within Salesforce.com
· Minimum 5+ years’ cumulative experience; MBA preferred with a minimum of 3 years experience in business development, strategic partnership management or consultative sales
· Proven track record and measured success meeting and exceeding sales quotas
· Proven ability to develop compelling written pitch documents and frame data/information for applicable audiences through PowerPoint
· Ability to navigate multiple layers of an organization to understand key access points, develop strategic relationships and influence decision-making
· Occasional travel and conference attendance required
Director, Recruitment & Admissions
The Director of Recruitment and Admissions role is an exciting leadership opportunity to lead MLT’s efforts to recruit, evaluate, and admit candidates and help scale MLT’s programs. S/he will be responsible for attracting increasing numbers of applicants to MLT’s programs and will serve as the programs’ chief marketer. Specifically, s/he will lead recruitment of college sophomores into MLT”s Career Prep program, which fast-tracks them into entry-level jobs. S/he will also lead recruitment of pre-MBAs, typically 3-5 years out of college, working at leading firms across the country, into MLT’s MBA Prep program, which coaches them to admission into top-tier partner business schools. S/he will manage a college campus-based ambassadors program, and leverage MLT’s 2500+ alumni to recruit on MLT’s behalf. S/he will measure the effectiveness of all recruitment initiatives and will track quantity and quality of referrals and applicants.
The ideal candidate will have experience doing deep-dive analysis into recruitment pipelines and networks. S/he will have experience with recruitment process optimization, for candidate quality and diversity, and be able to identify and drive out process inefficiencies. S/he he will have experience implementing process controls and managing high volume applicant flow. S/he will also work closely with the Career Prep Director and the MBA Programs Director to implement a highly efficient process for evaluation and selection of applicants, driving selection outcomes and delivering ROI for MLT. This position will be located in MLT’s headquarters in DC, manage the Senior Manager of Recruitment and Admissions and report to the VP of Talent and Development.
The Director of Recruitment and Admissions responsibilities will include:
• Developing and leading the execution of recruitment strategies for Career Prep and MBA Prep programs
• Developing and overseeing the rollout of a robust communication plan to engage prospective Fellows
• Measuring the effectiveness of all recruitment initiatives and recommending modifications to strategy
• Tracking quantity and quality of inquiries and applicants to all programs over time, analyzing data, and providing key reports to senior leadership
• Developing continuing relationships with appropriate business and university contacts, key diversity organizations, and alumni of MLT programs in order to build a pipeline of talent to fill MLT programs with high quality Fellows who will be attractive to corporate and business school partners
• Implementing a highly efficient process for evaluation and selection of applicants to Career Prep and MBA Prep in conjunction with program directors
• Providing supervision, mentoring, and development opportunities for Senior Manager of Recruitment and Admissions
The ideal candidate must excel in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to multitask effectively. MLT actively maintains a collaborative yet entrepreneurial culture. The candidate will have:
• Undergraduate degree plus a minimum of 7 years’ experience in a significantly growing non-profit
• Strong familiarity with the business school landscape. MBA degree preferred, although not required.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills, communication skills (both oral and written), and presentation skills
• Strong strategic thinking, analytical, and problem solving skills
• Experience using social media in recruitment
• Proven experience developing people
• Strong familiarity with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
• Experience with CRMs such as Salesforce
Community/ Social Media Manager
MLT is seeking a Community/Social Media Manager to manage and implement MLT’s social media strategy across the organization, build a strong digital presence and enhance our online community engagement. S/he will play an integral role in telling the MLT story via various digital modalities, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube in order to drive engagement with various stakeholders, including MLT Fellows and Alumni (0-15 years post-undergrad), college students and young professionals who may be candidates for MLT’s programs, and partners (representatives at the nation’s leading corporations and non-profit organizations). A major area of focus will be to own and execute social media communications and drive attendance to MLT’s 10th Anniversary Celebration (Gala and Alumni Conference) in November 2013.
The ideal candidate will have experience in marketing and digital media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Google Analytics) within a professional setting. S/he should have experience measuring online campaign effectiveness and linking digital platform tools together to ensure a unified online strategy. S/he will demonstrate ability to use social analytics tools and adapt strategies based on research and usage trends. This is a new position, so it is particularly important that this individual be comfortable working as a self-starter in an entrepreneurial environment. This position will be based in MLT’s Washington, DC office and will report to MLT’s Chief of Staff.
• Lead efforts to develop, manage, and execute broader MLT social media strategy across all online platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Google
• Create and distribute content around MLT activities and news from across all parts of the organization, including news, events, job opportunities, etc
• Evaluate & report on MLT’s online presence using Google Analytics and other tools and refine MLT’s digital strategy as a result
• Develop and distribute compelling, differentiated communications across key audiences and develop incentives to drive attendance and interest in MLT’s 10th Anniversary Celebration
• Support MLT’s recruitment efforts and alumni engagement efforts
• Monitor trends and press and share content via blogs, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. relevant to MLT’s key audiences
• Bachelor’s degree or higher; strong entrepreneurial bent and passion for social media a must
• Proven experience collecting consumer insights/data, utilizing data analytics and adapting strategy and messaging accordingly
• 2+ years of experience managing an organization’s social media community and demonstrated success with building robust community across digital media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.)
• Strong written communication ability and ability to differentiate messaging / engage various audiences across diverse platforms
• Superior organization and project management skills
• Aptitude for graphic design, photography, and/or video editing a plus